Finishing sequence for a bolt on neck

Sequencing -- clamping schemes -- logic, do's and don'ts
Jim from Illinois

Finishing sequence for a bolt on neck

Post by Jim from Illinois » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:12 am

I wasn't really sure which category to put this under. I have only built guitars with a dovetail neck but I am about to do a bolt on. My question is, is the body and neck finished separately and then put together or is it finished after assembly. I would think it could be done either way but I would like to know what most of you out there do since it seems like bolt on is the popular way to go. Also, does the absence of glue improve the coupling between neck and body?

Thanks,
Jim

Herman

Re: Finishing sequence for a bolt on neck

Post by Herman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:08 am

Jim, both ways is good.
The disadvantage of finishing after attaching is the buildup of finish in the corners of the neck. And it will show if the neck has to be taken off eventually.
Advantage is that you, if you fret after, you can flatter the fingerboard better in the transition area.

I did all of your choices. Dovetails, bolt-ons, glued and unglued, separate and complete finishing. I can tell no difference soundwise.
Maybe one of the other guys does.
Herman

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Jim,
Welcome!

Definitely finish separately. Is the joint a true bolt on (2 fasteners) ? Our kits don't require any glue, joint or FB extension. Yes a large percentage of even the most premier makers now at least offer bolt ons.

Jim from Illinois

Post by Jim from Illinois » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:15 am

Yes, 2 brass inserts on the heel. I know Taylor attaches the fretboard to the body with a tongue and screws type of thing but I was going to glue it. Does anyone do this any other way?
By the way Ken, I'm so glad you introduced me to the forum.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim from Illinois

Post by Jim from Illinois » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:26 am

Also, since I don't believe there are stupid questions, I have been using the Stewmac dovetail templates for the neck joint. Is there any reason that I couldn't use the same templates with a straight cut bit for the bolt on mortise and tenon?

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Get the MT template -- a straight cut with the "V" will not allow for a any vertical adjustment which is one of the benefits of the MT. You really don't need glue on the FB extension since it will likely bow slightly down and compress against the sound board. If you do use glue just a tiny bit will do the job and still make neck removal simple if need be --- another benefit of the MT joint.

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:12 pm

On a M&T bolt-on I don't glue the mortice but I do glue the extension. I guess I want to make sure the fit is secure so there is no buzz. I have had a couple that came into my shop with buzzing and it was identified as that, gluing the extension took care of it (none were factory built).
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC