Warped neck in kit

Solid wood and laminates -- carving process, dimensional concerns, shape preferences
ken tucson

Warped neck in kit

Post by ken tucson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Some time in the last couple of years I came upon a Martin kit for a 000-1 that was mostly unassembled. From what I’ve read, the 000-1 was a less expensive model with laminated sides and abbreviated top bracing which was marketed between 1995 and 2005(?). This kit was purchased in 2001, I believe, so has sat in the box for more than 15 years.
To the problem: The neck (mahogany, low profile) has developed a warp to back and a slight twist. I hope you can see the extent of the warp from the pictures.

Can I remove this warp during the processes of gluing in the truss rod and laminating on the rosewood fingerboard?

Or should I try to steam the neck straight or even to a “relief” condition before assembly?

I am very new to this art of guitar building but not to woodworking. I have learned so much from the generous and helpful posts on this forum. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Ken

ken cierp

Re: Warped neck in kit

Post by ken cierp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Welcome!

Discard -- or be prepared for a lifetime of set-up problems. $.02

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Ken, what would be wrong with planning the neck flat and taking a look after that? Seems like a few passes on a planer/jointer would tell the tale. I think neck woods don't always come off the billet dead-flat, anyway. But I'd like to put my question into the discussion.

Thanks very much.
Peter Havriluk

ken tucson

Post by ken tucson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
To tell the truth, I don't like the idea of spending more money on another neck for a kit that in the end will only yield a laminated guitar. (Though I have come across some people who really like their 000-1)

Jointing off the high center seems doable. I would have to remove the headstock veneer that is already trimmed but I guess I could drill the tuning machine holes and use those to index the veneer for re-installing. This method would change the neck joint angle slightly but it is mortise and tenon so it could be trimmed. Probably have to carve a little out of the truss rod channel in the middle, also. No problem. The more I think/talk about this idea, the more I like it. After 15 years, I imagine the neck has moved about as much as it is going to.
Thanks,
Ken

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 pm

The headstock veneer will sand off nicely; did it myself on a rotating disc sander. No particularly hard task to glue on a new one and drill it for tuners. While drilling, please use a backer board or the tearout will provoke sadness.

I've seen comments that Martin made up their kits out of parts rejected for factory guitars. Maybe your neck looked like that when it went into the box...
Peter Havriluk

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 pm

The head stock veneer will come off easily when heated with an iron for a couple of minutes. So it does not matter to you that the thickness of the neck will be whacky along the entire length? Looks to me like a warp and a twist of over 3/16" -- that's a lot of material. Might also have an issue with the depth and slope of the truss rod slot as well. I understand the economics I guess its worth a try --- but again using a known bad component is not for me.

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 am

Can you purchase another neck?