OM and 000 X Brace Angles?

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
Daniel P

OM and 000 X Brace Angles?

Post by Daniel P » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Do any of you know the X-brace angles most often used on OM's and 000?

I'm working on designing my own more modern OM bracing, but trying to find some historic specs to reference. I've read about 30's Dreads having 98 degree, moving to 94 as the bracing shifted back, and then forward again and back to a 98. OMs have often been on the narrower side, correct?

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere that I am missing.

Any links to more reading would be greatly appreciated.

- Daniel

John Parchem

Re: OM and 000 X Brace Angles?

Post by John Parchem » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm

I am not sure if this is a good answer but for me the angle falls out of the design. I decide how close I want the X to be to the sound hole and then I draw a line the catches the end of bridge wings.

Daniel P

Post by Daniel P » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks John. As long as the X catches the ends of the bridge, I should have acceptable structural integrity and vibration transfer from the bridge?

From all of the drawings I've been able to study, it appears there is a range of overlap that is acceptable.

With regard to the effect on tone - am I correct in understanding the simplistic view that a wider angle promotes a stronger low end, while a tighter angle, approaching but never 90, promotes more high end?

I realize that I am widely simplifying a complex system, and realize this will be an ongoing study. Just trying to rationalize my starting point for this design.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Just to add to the mystery of design essentials -- note that the awsome sounding Ditson 12th fret has a bridge placement that is no where near having the wings over the X legs