Luthier's special at Hibdon Hardwoods

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Dave Bagwill

Luthier's special at Hibdon Hardwoods

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Back and side set with matching fretboard!

http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/collectio ... ersspecial

Non-porous, easy to work, great tap tone. The 'manzer wedge' that I'm finishing up is made from this wood.
-Under permanent construction

John Parchem

Re: Luthier's special at Hibdon Hardwoods

Post by John Parchem » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:55 pm

I used it on a ukulele, I really like it.

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:03 pm

I am currently building a dread using a set that I bought from Hibdon at the last GAL. It is beautiful wood. Quite a bit heaver than rosewood though. I can't wait to get it finished and compare it to the two rosewood dreads I am also currently building alongside it. I did have an issue with one of the back pieces splitting though. Every time I would just look at it, it wood develop a new split on the outside edge of the lower bout. I would stabilize it with CA and then I would look at it again and you guessed it, it would split again. Finally after I had the back glued together disaster struck and a piece broke clean off. I had picked it up by the sides and gave it a little flex, not enough that should break it normally though, and the piece came clean off. After saying some bad words that my dad had taught me I went to work. The repair came out really good. At first I was reluctant to use it and I called Hibdon to see what they would do. After talking to them for a while they reluctantly said I could ship it back to them and they would replace it. They said that it is wood and some times that happens. I understand that it had been a while since I had purchased it and that in their view I could be responsible for its failure, but as I explained to them the wood has been properly stored in a climate controlled wood storage closet and I did not believe that it was caused by what I had done. Anyway, after gluing the piece back on it seems to be stable now and I will be using it. My point is I think that Hibdon should at least had a better attitude in dealing with me. He seemed a bit irritated that I would call and ask how they handle that situation. I told him that I wanted to keep a good relationship with them because I do think that they have some nice woods and I would probably buy from them again, maybe even some more of this Granadillo. Anyway, sorry for my rant and here are some pictures.
Attachments
repaired resized 144.JPG
repaired resized 144.JPG (218.95 KiB) Viewed 208 times
split resized 116.JPG
split resized 116.JPG (232.56 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMsplit repairresized.JPG
IMsplit repairresized.JPG (224.77 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks for the pix and info; I've not had to speak with the Hibdon folks yet. Just to be safe, I won't look at the granadillo any more as I work on the guitar, though that might be difficult. :-)
-Under permanent construction

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 pm

Dave, I did not find the Granadillo hard to work with at all outside of the one piece which I think had a problem. It was easy to bend and is beautiful wood. I will no doubt work with it again. It does seem to be solid now otherwise I would not have continued with it and I would have sent it back to Hibdon. I really think it will make a great sounding guitar.
Jim