Choosing Fretboard Woods

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Eric Schaefer

Choosing Fretboard Woods

Post by Eric Schaefer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:03 pm

An article I posted today on Ebony, Rosewood, Maple and alternative fretboard woods. Let me know what you think!

ericschaeferguitars/acoustic-guitar-design-fretboard-woods/

John J

Re: Choosing Fretboard Woods

Post by John J » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:50 pm

I love the variations in all woods. I think that's part of what can make your build unique.
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Just never could get my head around very light colored woods being used for fingerboards, I've seen some pretty shabby looking Maple FB's on Fender's -- but I am sure to some that gives a guitar that Willy Nelson "Trigger" appeal.

Bobby M

Post by Bobby M » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:47 pm

ken cierp wrote:Just never could get my head around very light colored woods being used for fingerboards, I've seen some pretty shabby looking Maple FB's on Fender's -- but I am sure to some that gives a guitar that Willy Nelson "Trigger" appeal.

Ken,
Like you I'm not a fan of the light colored woods finger boards as they get grungy pretty quick. With that being said, a friend is building a dread with striped Sapele b/s, figured redwood top. In your opinion what would be a good fingerboard wood to choose as well as what wood binding choices should he look at?
Thanks!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:32 pm

I'd likely go with Ebony fingerboard and bridge -- Curly Maple bindings --- black binding would look good too.

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:27 am

Ebony is the easiest wood for make a fretboard. Flaws when making inlays can invisibly be repaired. And the smooth feeling is unbeatable. For other choices I think Wengé is underrated if you want sparkling brights. As it comes to ringtone, Padouk is close to Brazilian RW. But I never met someone who wants an orange fingerboard. Ya, guitar business is so traditonal.....
Herman

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 pm

I've used EIR and Ebonies, and the more I use EIR, the more I think I should be using Ebony, for the reasons Herman has stated. The last one I did was Madagascar Rosewood and pores in the wood were horrendous, yet the one I did before was also Madagascar and it was almost like ebony, with almost no pores.