Bridge plates

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Kyle Barbour

Bridge plates

Post by Kyle Barbour » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm

I know usually bridge plates are maple. What other materials are acceptable? I'll probably use maple but curious. Also what cut should the wood be? I assume qs.
Kyle

ken cierp

Re: Bridge plates

Post by ken cierp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm

I use both Maple and Rosewood -- to me the Rosewood when tapped has a more musical, resonate tone. To keep the weight to a minimum the Rosewood is .090" vs .10" for the Maple. I se bridge plate at .125" and more I think that is too thick.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 pm

If you look at the bridge plate as purely a piece of wood that is there to stop the ball ends from pulling through the spruce, then any hardwood will work.
Ken mentioned rosewood and maple. Those are the two most popular choices, probably because that's what Martin has used. However, I have also seen people use osage orange, brazilian rosewood or any other hardwood. If you havea slice of hardwood you think is suitable, use it. There are no rules. Just don't expect to sell that guitar to a true bluegrass player!

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm

I failed to touch on the other question you asked about grain orientation. Lots of folks prefer their bridge plates to be off quarter and to angle the grain so that the pin holes do not all cut across the same grain line so as to minimize the chance of splitting the bridge plate. I think this is sound advice and I also think a quarter sawn bridge is not the best idea for the same reason. Not only are you cutting 6 holes into it, but you have the saddle slot! Both the pins and the saddle can crack a perfectly quartered bridge much easier than they can a rift sawn bridge, especially when an overzealous owner tries forcing a pin down into the hole.

Kyle Barbour

Post by Kyle Barbour » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks. I have a peice of EIR that looks suitable then. I will give it a try.
Kyle

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm

I used Macauaba on my last finished guitar for the plate and it made the guitar sound awesome!!! Really who know, but it is a rosewood, and the guitar body was made of the same wood.
On a current Walnut/Redwood OM I used Madagasscar rosewood for the plate. On the Santos Mahogany/Sitka dred I'm making I used Bloodwood for the plate. I agree with Tony, I think any hardwood that has the grain going the right way should work fine and probably almost no one would be able to tell you you used something other than the two standard woods.

Kevin

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I would tend to agree -- I'd keep the weight down, as that can have an affect on sound quality. I will say however that there are more than a few repair shops that claim to "soup up" Martins that have Rosewood bridge plates by replacing them with Maple plates.